Latest News

Does Jesus Really Like Me?

Friday, July 3, 2009 , Posted by Guttermouth at 7:32 AM

"I found Jesus very disturbing, very straightforward. He wasn't diplomatic, and yet I felt like if I met Him, He would really like me. I can't explain how freeing that was. There were people He loved and people He got really mad at, and I kept identifying with the people He loved, which was really good, because they were all the broken people, the kind of people who are tired of life and want to be done with it, or they are desperate people, people who are outcasts or pagans. There were others, regular people, but He didn't play favorites at all which is miraculous in itself."

-Donald Miller, "Blue Like Jazz"

One of the things which makes it easier to accept God's grace is the fact of who His son chose to spend time with during his time here. Jesus was drawn to the broken and hurting people. Jesus called a gaggle of complete screw-ups as his disciples.

The disciples were stupid. These were the guys who were there to help Jesus and would carry on his message after he died, and they didn't understand what in the world he was talking about at times. (Matthew 15:15-16)

The disciples lacked faith. They were in a boat in a storm with the friggin' SON OF GOD, and were freaking out about some waves and liquid turbulence. Jesus woke up and essentially told them "You have no faith, chill, I got this." (Matthew 8:26)

The disciples had no commitment and one of them even sold him out to be crucified. They ran like scared dogs when Judas betrayed Jesus and brought people to arrest him. (Mark 14:48-50)

The disciples were egotistical. They spent a whole road trip having an argument about which of the 12 was the greatest disciple. Jesus then told them to be a servant to all, to put themselves last. (Mark 9:33-37)

If God can use and love people like that... then surely he can use and love someone like me.

One of my the issues I have with so many churches is the unwillingness to go out and reach the people who so desperately need God in their lives. I've been to churches which had no outreach whatsoever. They would congregate on Sundays, have board meetings on Thursdays, and talk about how financially they needed God to bring more people to the church. One of the things I've learned... is if you are truly doing the work of God in your community, then people will come to your church to learn more about Jesus. Why? Because you are living Jesus and people will want to learn more about what this life is about.

Sadly, an acquaintance of mine's girlfriend said recently that she hated my church. She said she hated all of the "publicity stunts" we do. I really want to take her to the side and get her to understand that it's not about publicity, it's not about putting our name out there, it's about Jesus.

I can't drive five minutes in any direction from any point in this town without passing a church, yet there are over 35,000 people in my community as of the last census who claimed not to have a church home. Whatever these multitude of churches have been doing in the past, it's not working. Either it's not working or the traditional outreach has touched each person who could be touched through those methods.

The time has come now to find new and unique ways to reach people and let them hear about Jesus. Reach the unreached, give them a place to feel comfortable coming to hear more about this God and what His son did for us. Get them in the doors and let God work from there.

I think the Statue of Liberty has on it one of the most beautiful statements ever: Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free.

In more modern times, I think God is asking this: bring me your high, your drunk, your broken families, your addicts, your hurting masses yearning to be free. It's not about a publicity stunt, it's about going to the places where the people are who God has called us to put first and to serve.

As Paul said in Corinthians:

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible... to those under the law I became like one under the law so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak

I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Footnote: The girl who hates my church. She's getting married today. They're both really good people... just hurting. I wish them the best and pray they have a long-lasting and healthy marriage filled with joy and love.

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    "if you are truly doing the work of God in your community, then people will come to your church to learn more about Jesus. Why? Because you are living Jesus and people will want to learn more about what this life is about."

    This is EXACTLY my philosophy on evangelism. It's not what you say but how you live. Some of my best friends are pagans, jews, and other non-believers. I love them just the same as my believer friends. I accept them, because that's what Christ would have me do. Hopefully, one day, they will see Jesus through my life. We talk about religion once in a while, but mostly I show them what Christ does for me and hope they take the hint and pray God shines His light in their lives.

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment